Saturday, February 28, 2009

TIME FLIES


The week has flown by and I have nothing to show for it. But I have been busy ........no, really - I have been hard at work. My studio is still a disaster area. It is open to the front entrance which is drafty and I have put off working in there because it was FREEZING. The stairway is a wind tunnel. This week had some warm afternoons ........so I am on it. My goal is to post photos of my fabulous workspace this weekend











This is the lovely Genevieve. I can't put that accent over the "e" so just say it like Maurice Chevalier. She lived in my grandmother's and mother's hat shop. Grandma would let me "do" her windows and as young as five - I remember putting hats and jewelry on Genevieve.

She had a terrible fall in the sixties and I repaired and repainted her - so that face was done by a 12 year old with a magic marker.









I unpacked her yesterday and found that she did not travel well. I don't know if it was the move or the moisture from the leaking trailer - but she needs major surgery.

I would imagine she is from the 40's......but I'll never know.
Someday I may reproduce her and handpaint a different face on each one - what do you think?

See you later!

4 comments:

  1. Mary,
    You are a wonderful artist to draw that face at 12 years old! Can't wait to see some of your current work! That is so neat that she was your Mother's and Grandmother's! What kind of hats did they sell? Like the ones Jackie O wore? j.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary I like her as she is! She wears history well. Is your studio of your design work or art work? Will you be opening up shop and selling out of your studio? xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the history she shares. I bet she brings back lots of memories. I too am curious to hear more about your studio.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think keep her just as she is Mary - we all wear with age and Genevieve is no different. Lovely to have these memories, xv.

    ReplyDelete

This is a huge project - your interest in St. Marys keeps me energized and I love hearing from you